Justin Brice Guariglia was born in 1974 in Maplewood, New Jersey. He studied Italian art history and literature in Casa Artom, Venice, under the late art historian Terisio Pignatti, before moving to Beijing to study Chinese language, culture, and history at Capital Normal University. He then returned to the USA to finish his degree at the liberal arts college Wake Forest.
Guariglia developed a unique transdisciplinary art practice, working in collaboration with philosophers, scientists, and journalists to develop a more informed, holistic, ontological world view. In doing so, his art has become a research practice to investigate the world, and forge a deeper understanding of important ecological issues of our time.
Guariglia began flying on NASA science missions over Greenland to gather imagery that would become raw materials for his art. A five meter large printer at his studio applies acrylic ink to surfaces in a painterly manner. Guariglia's photographic images incorporate traditional art materials like gesso and precious metals including copper, gold, and platinum that have been abraded with power tools.
The work of Guariglia belongs to several museum collections, including the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; the Norton Museum of Art, Florida; the Spurlock Museum, Illinois; and the Vanden Heuvel Collection, New York. His photographs are published in Smithsonian, The New York Times and National Geographic.
He currently lives and works in New York City, NY.
Selected Solo Exhibitions & Projects
- Earth Works: Mapping the Anthropocene, USC Fisher Museum of Art, in conjunction with the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- We Are The Asteroid II, Public installation, Chicago Navy Pier, IL, USA
- Climate Signals: Engaging New York City in the Climate Conversation, The Climate Museum, in partnership with the New York City Mayor’s Office – Climate Policy and Programs, New York City, NY, USA
- Like a Thief in the Night: Justin Brice Guariglia, Maruani Mercier Gallery, Knokke, Belgium
- Landscapes: Justin Brice Guariglia, Art Brussels, Maruani Mercier Gallery, Brussels, Belgium
- Earth Works: Mapping the Anthropocene, Norton Museum of Art, West Palm Beach, FL, USA
- Phenomena ad Noumena, Telluride Gallery of Fine Art, Telluride, CO, USA
- Intervention: After Ice, Venice Biennale, Venice, Italy Intervention: After Ice, New York City, NY, USA
- iOS App Debut: After Ice, iTunes Store, Apr 20, 2017 After Nature, TwoThirtyOne Projects, New York City, NY, USA
- Field Notes: Omega Block I, Russo Gallery, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Indicators: Artists On Climate Change, Storm King Arts Center, New Windsor, NY, USA
- Wisdom & Nature, Le Ciel Foundation, PHILLIPS Paris, rue du Bac, Sept 18 - 22, 2017
- Wisdom & Nature, Le Ciel Foundation, PHILLIPS New York, Park Avenue, Nov 27 - 29, 2017
- Wisdom & Nature, Le Ciel Foundation, PHILLIPS London, Berkeley Square, Sept 4 - 8, 2017
- For Freedoms, Jack Shainman Gallery, New York City, NY, USA
- Summer Group Show, 1 Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, NY, USA
Selected Museum Collections
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas, USA
- Norton Museum of Art, West Palm Beach, Florida, USA
- Spurlock Museum, Urbana, Illinois, USA
- Vanden Heuvel Collection, New York, New York, USA